Wednesday, March 16, 2011

watch out for pop-ups and viruses when shopping

I just went online to buy some HP drivers for my HP printer.  I went on the HP site and found what I wanted (I thought).  However it wouldn't let me download it.  So I called HP Customer Support and they said I had to order it from HP Tech Support.  So I went back to HP Tech Support, found the driver, ordered it online with a visa credit card etc. However, here's the rub.

What I thought was an HP pop-up to order, was really a link to another site (business, entirely). So I got messed up.  Luckily I didn't get a virus or malware, it was legit (I received the CD I ordered and it was OK).
This just points out the problem.
So when ordering or linking to a site always remember:
1.  The link must say "www.HP (or whatever).com/techsupport (or whatever).
2. If it says "www.HPdrivers.com" or something other than "www.HP.com", it is not an HP site! (or whatever site you're looking for)
It may look like it but is subtly not, and its hard to find the clues that its not (usually the small print at the bottom)
So watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment